8/25/2006

fair tax research

I have recently become particularly interested in the tax proposal with the focus group-approved name FairTax to replace all federal taxes with a flat national sales tax. There are a number of nuances that make the proposal interesting, and I have started a couple in-depth discussions with some people about this.

When it comes right down to it, I am currently quite opposed to the details of the plan. However, I do respect their attempt to radically alter our tax code, which I think does need to be done, and most of their approach, as well. For example, they actually want to change the Constitution, which is how I think radical things should be done (such as Prohibition under the 18th amendment vs. our current war on drugs).

So, looking for two things. First, if you are interested in this or know someone who is, let me know. Second, if there are details or outside research you would like to fill me in on to change my mind, I would certainly welcome such information. (In other words, don't give me stuff from their website or by affiliated individuals and organizations)

Here's the website for the movement.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's interesting, and I know a few afficionados, but it seems like actually *getting* the tax revenue to the government is going to be a hard job.
I do agree the tax system needs to be overhauled, because it tends to play favorites in too many places. You can be poor, but unless you have kids, you'll owe. You can be married, but if you and your spouse have equal incomes, you'll be penalized. If you own your own business or rental property, you can evade piles of tax. If you're rich enough, you can hire creative accountants who know every miniscule loophole, saving you thousands of dollars in tax annually. At the same time, the middle and upper middle classes get screwed.

And let's not even discuss FICA.

Nathaniel said...

Yeah, that does seem to be an interesting question. How much untaxed consumption already happens? And then imagine quadrupling (or more) the sales tax rate.

Eric Dienstfrey said...

Sure the tax system has flaws, but I'm skeptical when someone comes along and instead of fixing the problems, creates and entirely new system, that will undoubtedly have just as many (if not more) problems.

Anonymous said...

I think more people need to create new systems. People get stuck on "there is only one way to do it" or "maybe we should do it the same way these people are doing it" I say YAY for people who are using their brains and creating completely New systems. So what they may have their problems but hey maybe someone will come up with a new way to solve them instead of the same old stuff.