10/23/2006

the internet is awesome

It's been a while since Charles and I had some good conversations. Where've you been recently? I suppose that whole school starting again probably means a bit of work for a principal. Hope the school year is going well.

But, perhaps I've found a new ideologically opposite friend, although it's too early to tell for sure.

Professor Harbour wrote me back, and this time explicitly asked that I post his email. I disagree with some claims made, but I'll wait a day or two before offering specifics in case he has further clarification.

Professor Harbour to me (note, the original part of the email has been redacted; look at my prior post to read it):

"From: Harbour, William Mailed-By: wusm-pcf.wustl.edu
To: Nathaniel Dempsey
Date: Oct 22, 2006 11:22 PM
Subject: RE: please authenticate

Nathaniel,
I am ashamed of you. If you had questions about my email, it would have been professional and appropriate of you to email me personally to clarify your misunderstandings before broadcasting your ill-informed comments on your blog site. First of all, I told you by email that there were no footnotes in my original email, and I don't know how they got in your version. However, I guess clarifying that issue before publishing your blog would have been inconvenient for your attempt to defame my character. Also, I am amused by your claim that I am misusing the Washington University name to promote my agenda. The truth is quite the opposite. Washingnton University has inappropriately gotten politically involved in this issue and has attached its name to Amendment 2, even though many Washington University faculty members are against it. Is that a truthful representation of Washington University? If you really care about the truth and not just blathering on without facts, email me directly and I would be happy to answer any questions you have. If you are really as ethical and professional as you want your readers to believe, you will post this email as a rebuttal to your previous diatribe.
______________________________________
J. William Harbour, MD
Washington University School of Medicine

The materials in this message are private and may contain Protected Healthcare Information. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that any unauthorized use, disclosure, copying or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender via telephone or return mail."

And me to Professor Harbour:

"From: Nathaniel Dempsey Mailed-By: gmail.com
To: "Harbour, William"
Date: Oct 23, 2006 9:25 AM
Subject: Re: please authenticate

I am sorry if publishing an email sent by you from a wustl.edu account is shameful. It is this perspective of limiting dialogue that interests me. I don't know much about the science. I am deeply concerned, however, about claims about Washington University stifling debate. Make no mistake, I am continuing to follow up about this. However, the Cardinals are also in the World Series and I do have other responsibilities.

My question about your email was if you sent it. You said you did. Is there not room for divergent views on this? I strongly defend my right to post whatever ill-informed, inaccurate, offensive, wrong, and any other content I want on my personal blog. My name, contact information, and photograph are posted there for those who want to disagree. If you post a response, it is public for all the world to see, as well.

As far as the truth, there are many things I would like to know. For starters, there is anti-Amendment 2 dialogue everywhere. On what basis do you say dialogue is limited?

If you have responsibilities that prevent you from having the time to converse about this over the next week or two, that's fine (and I will of course note that when I do a follow-up post). But don't confuse me for just an ill-informed blog ranter.

Also, if you really are concerned about electronic communication you send being posted online, you really shouldn't send anything not related to work or school from your wustl account (and even then, you shouldn't write anything that you wouldn't mind being posted on a website somewhere). Electronic communication is saved forever; emails get forwarded from person to person to person. I posted your entire email, credited it to you, and then wrote my commentary. Some people would be even more shameful, as you call it. If I had wanted to do this anonymously, I would have sent my request for you to authenticate this from a Yahoo account and not used my full name so you couldn't have found my blog.

Regards,

Nathaniel"

No comments: