11/10/2006

where props are due

I've noticed that the Weekly Standard has had some really good coverage of the 2006 election. It's like insert a little dose of reality, and their inner journalist shines through. I think they ran one of the best articles about the stem cell issue in Missouri. About the only misleading thing is to call President Bush's Council on Bioethics bipartisan (for example, people who disagree with the President's will tend to get removed from the council), but that's a minor quibble in this article . Take a look. They zero in on the core issue, which has to do with embryos, not women, fertilitiy clinics, money, scientists, or biotech companies.

And while on the subject of elections, a friend reminded me of just how impressive the Onion's coverage of the 2000 election was. Their coverage of a (fake) television address by President-elect Bush is remarkable for its accuracy. It really is worth another read.

Also, if you know me, you know I have plenty of things to complain about St. Louis. So, I should definitely point out when something exciting happens. They changed the light cycles at a couple stoplights along Forest Park Parkway! What do you know, driving straight from point A to point B is now my fastest route to work, rather than the ridiculous meandering I would make down to the interstate for a mile and back up to my work (which is on the same road).

No comments: