12/15/2006

one week

I don’t know if I’ve been putting off writing this, but certainly I haven’t had the energy for it.

Not sure whether to build up with lots of drama, or just say it. So, I’m pretty much just gonna say it.

So last week I was robbed. At gunpoint, semi-automatic handgun. My wallet and phone were stolen.

It happened pretty fast, but it’s amazing how many times you replay that over and over and over. And over.

I’m fine, although still short two replacement credit cards and an ATM card. My Wash U ID and Wal-Mart gift card probably are gone for good. I know, serves me right for having a Wal-Mart gift card.

I’m not sure how to explain it, but it’s a little difficult to talk about. Something just so raw and vulnerable about it. You know it’s dumb, but nonetheless, it is. Julie was asking how I was feeling, and this is what I wrote back to her: I'm annoyed. frustrated. saddened. embarrassed. alone. It's really lonely between a wall and a gun.

I can describe the scene pretty well, what we did that evening and what happened during those couple minutes. But making it personal is hard.

Fortunately I’m ok and they ditched most of the wallet, which a security guard at the arch found. Julie and I had gone to dinner, and while she was upset that she wasn’t with me at the time, I’m really glad she wasn’t. Things could have potentially turned out much worse.

11 comments:

SavRed said...

Nate--Maybe this will make you a conservative?

Charles

Nathaniel said...

I suppose somebody had to make that comment...

SavRed said...

Why not me?

How've you been? Life is moving with the quickness round here.

Charles

Candace Shaw said...

so sorry, hun. That must have been very scary! It's been really impressed on me lately how much life can change in one moment...

Are you going to be in Liberty for Christmas? if so I'd love to see you sometime.

Nathaniel said...

Thanks for your thoughts Candace. I will be in town Saturday evening through Tuesday. I have a phone now, too :)

And this one moment...you're not pregnant already, are you?

Shawn said...

OK, I promise not to comment on every single post you've made this year, but I wanted to say "That sucks".
I'm also kind of curious - where exactly were you? Sounds like down near the riverfront. I was just down their having breakfast this morning....

Thank god your wife wasn't with you. I completely understand what you mean by making a bad situation worse... it gives me chills to even imagine such a scenario.

Working on the medical campus, there's typically a robbing of an employee or student every month or two. It's almost always a woman, and more often than not in broad daylight. Hell, a woman I work with was robbed at gunpoint in a parking garage here and after taking her purse they made her get into the trunk of her car. I personally would have been certain they were going to kill me and close the trunk, but they left and she managed to flip the internal latch. Funny thing was, there was a cop at the garage exit and he had seen both the guys walk out. This was over 10 years ago, but still a pretty scary story. I don't f around when I'm walking across campus at night, that's for sure.

Anyway, very sorry to hear this. Don't let it shake you too much, though. It's bad enough they got your wallet - don't give them your peace of mind, too.
I'll see you at the taser store!
-S

Nathaniel said...

Hey Shawn, thanks for your thoughts. I'm traveling, so not a lot of time to write at the moment, but sometime soon I'll get back to this. You know, something about family being more important than blogging.

SavRed said...

Nate--

You got married?

Charles

Nathaniel said...

Oh dear, no. One thing on my list to respond to. But let me clear that one up right away :)

This post most definitely still applies.

SavRed said...

Nate--

Ran across this the other day. I remember going around and around with you about this stuff.

http://www.reason.com/news/show/117446.html

Charles

Nathaniel said...

Alright, I'm back for the new year :)

We were downtown on Broadway where the old courthouse is between Busch Stadium and the Landing. I was getting my car which was on the block north of Chestnut, right across from Caleco's.

As far as Julie, though, not the wife. We're dating, c'est tout. She did Christmas with her family, me with mine. But I do agree, very fortunuate she was not with me. It's good to have other people say that, because I'm sure there is a certain level of guilt and whatnot nawing at her for not being with me.