7/20/2006

brick ovens and remote blogging

Technically, I suppose all blogging is remote. This is particularly remote as many of the brick buildings around town can currently be more accurately described as brick ovens. Great for pizza. Not so hot for people and pets. So I'm off exploring south city with Julie and Emily. It's great when you're getting calls about St. Louis being a disaster area and you have no clue what people are talking about. Hello, we don't have power; we haven't been watching the news on TV and reading it on the internet. No, I didn't know there was fun at Busch Stadium. What, part of the East Terminal blew onto the Interstate? And so forth.

It was really fun last night; we went to Ben and Jerry's for dinner and wandered around the loop. Just kind of walking around half in a daze about how fast the weather had changed and all these tree limbs down everywhere. Storms always bring in a really neat atmostphere, and when people are without electricity, that adds an interesting element to the evening. I should say, it was fun until we got back to the apartment. Hot at bedtime is not fun.

Let's see, this morning didn't shave, and didn't even get breakfast. I drive by McDonald's on the way to work and there's a handwritten note on the door saying sorry, we're closed because we have no power. It's very interesting not being able to get something like food when you want to have it. Most of us experience that so infrequently in the US it's hard even to explain what that's like going 24 hours without a real meal, as if ice cream and granola bars isn't enough to hold one over anyway. But it was a good excuse to crash an evening with Emily and Julie, and it adds almost a childish fun to a work environment where people have other concerns besides just work that spill over into the work day.

Oh, and to be clear, I'm fine. I need to shave, and I have lost a fair amount of food, but my car seems ok and my work had AC and I have a place to set up temporary camp in. What more can you ask for?

No comments: