7/23/2006

crisis in my apartment

Day 5.

I would say I'm sick of hearing about the tactical capabilities of short range missiles launched against a nuclear power, but fortunately I've been deprived of CNN for 5 days.

In all seriousness, this is a very exciting day. We have power again, the first time since Wednesday! There are still trees down everywhere, and Cookie did not behave well, but all in all, we escaped mostly unscathed. I figure between food that was thrown away (I took out 6 garbage bags worth of trash yesterday) to extra gas and eating out, this little vacation from the electric grid cost about $100. There's something about feeling like you don't have a home and everything about life being up in the air, not knowing what's happening next, not sleeping in your own bed for several days, that is very discomforting. I have never in my life seen 22 unread email messages waiting for me when I get home. Civilization has been toying with me, sitting there unplayable.

And there are people still who don't have power. It's not that any of this is life threatening (generally), it's that it's life altering. That's what's been so amazing and frustrating about this episode.

No comments: