5/06/2006

one more day

Yes, my sister's birthday is tomorrow. But even more exciting is another birthday! That's right, stay curious turns 1 tomorrow.

In preparation for the festivities, let me give major props to a company. After all, even though it's usually more fun writing about the (relatively) few problems in our economic system, you confuse me for a pinko commie leftie whateverie at your own peril.

I hate shopping. It is, unfortunately, quite necessary on certain occasions, particularly certain special occasions. However, let me say that Bed Bath N Beyond just made my day. I got in, the staff was friendly and helpful (hmm, who can argue with all of four different young women helping me out?), and I got out.

Not without falling for one of the oldest tricks in the book, though. You see, they are kind enough to offer complimentary gift wrapping with wedding registries. No doubt, you, like everyone else on the planet, already knew this, but I'm still a relative newbie in the wedding world, and this was fascinating to me. That's a fantastic bargain, and a great example of market forces delivering a product that is much needed (ie, help with the obligatory arcane rituals of gift giving). Also interestingly, I found out that complimentary does not mean free. You see, they make you wait up there while they wrap it, with way too friendly staff hanging around with nothing better to do than talk to you. And they set out items which you think, woah, that's cheap, relative to prices you've seen around the rest of the store. Then they stick bright colorful stickers and other paraphanelia in strategic locations.

Presto. I buy something while my gift wrap is being done "for free".

But no more details right now, lest someone is reading my blog :)

Other than my roommates, of course; they're awesome, and they can know what's super top secret.

Well, I take that back; they're giving me a hard time right now, so maybe they're sort of awesome. I'm trying to help them find a file of the Stephen Colbert video from the White House Correspondents' Dinner. Hmm, a couple days ago you could get it from iFilm to youtube. Now why on Earth would the owners of C-SPAN be interested in getting that particular video file pulled? Maybe the same reason the whole corporate media ignored him, then lampooned him, to begin with...nah, that can't be it.

No comments: