5/30/2005

i get the game cube while they're in hawaii!

I was going to make this a serious post since my weekend has been full of getting one of my best high school friends married. But then I thought, screw it, that in itself is more than enough seriousness. I’ll just make fun of myself, instead. If you really wanted details about the wedding, all you need to know is that it suited them perfectly. It was elegant and beautiful, a traditional Christian wedding at its finest. The only thing lovelier than the bridesmaids’ dresses, of course, was Carrie herself.

Okay, enough of that. On to me :)

Essentially, I require a lot of sleep to function correctly. If I get 8 hours of sleep, I will wake up tired the next day. Yet at the same time, I can’t go to bed when there are people around talking and playing video games. Add to that the adrenaline factor that two awesome people are getting married and the fact that I didn’t sleep much Thursday night because I’m a procrastinator and started cleaning up my place for all the guys way too late, and you can readily see the ingredients for crashing Saturday after the wedding. Or, uh, almost after it.

When I say function correctly, the desire to be social goes first, but every once in a while I get so exhausted as to lose all common sense. I knew I was in trouble about half-way through dinner—which, by the way, was a steak dinner at the reception! Food is an amazing catalyst, exchanging adrenaline for exhaustion. Now, to be fair, this isn’t just happening to me; Tom and Austin were perfectly content just sitting there for a while, too. In fact, we were apparently so content that Laura, Jesse, and Amanda came up to talk to us because they thought we were bored. Bored! It is reassuring, though, being reminded that women don’t understand men, either (at least every once in awhile). But my point was to make fun of myself, not the ladies, so let’s fast forward the night a bit.

Andy likes dancing, and of course all of us in the wedding party joined Carrie and him on the dance floor. I had gotten my second wind and was having fun for an hour or so. Then Tom and Laura suggested going to sit down for a bit. That had disaster written all over it. In fact, I didn’t leave that table again the rest of the night. Never mind that Andy’s relatives are quite exciting at weddings, or that more than a couple single ladies were still around. Nope, when I get that tired, there is literally nothing in the world I want to do more than just sit there. I was so tired when I got out to my car later that I seriously contemplated taking a nap in it before driving home. (This is in the parking lot of the hotel, mind you). And to cap off the evening, I left the keys to my apartment in the door all night long. When I got up, I noticed that the door wasn’t even shut. Good thing my roommates were out of town!

Or to paraphrase Andy’s post, I’m still in bachelordom. Thank God.

No comments: