7/25/2005

short version

Alright, you get the short version now, and I'll post a longer version later. This way, those of you that don't really care about me can know all you need without the messy details of my life. Ok, that didn't come out quite the way I intended, but too bad, I don't feel like editing right now.

The weekend actually turned out pretty well. We drove down to Steelville, canoed 6 miles, I got a terrible earache, got sunburned, went to Kobe steakhouse, and saw The Island. Which, by the way, was pretty good. It was a scifi channel miniseries given a Hollywood action budget. Throw in a blonde character's charming dumbness, and what can go wrong?

Also got to play a little devil's advocate with Adrian and Lauren about human cloning. Adrian said something really interesting, that part of humanity-and thus part of the ethical problem with cloning-is having genetic uniqueness. I hadn't heard that argument before, and I intend on exploring it more deeply. My gut reaction was that it's simply a product of cultural forces, not something deeper, but I am rather ignorant about the concept. (For example, we are taught very early that we are all "unique" and have unique DNA and unique fingerprints and so on. That wreaks of Western self-centered competitive individualism. Don't get me wrong, I happen to like that. But it doesn't mean other perspectives are wrong.)

No comments: