7/02/2005

good times from back in the day

We went to see War of the Worlds. It was pretty good, but I think everybody else liked it better than me. I'm awake because I have a long weekend for once and I intend to use it, but they all wanted to go home, so I'm sitting here watching Cheers and catching up on my email.

And what do you know, but Cliff made a global warming joke! Apparently that sucker's been good for a generation of laughs and keeps on kickin'. Ice caps melting, seas rising, east coast flooded, the whole shebang. They clearly didn't have access to the same rigorous science that the modern world presently enjoys, though. How quaint.

Also, today (well, by now, I guess technically yesterday) I officially cease being a well-paid contract employee and become an underpaid nonprofit employee. It's good news, I think.

I have a couple more quizzes left, and since I'm sure it made your June so enjoyable, I'll continue until I get through all of them. I found this answer so intriguing I had to post it and, like the music one, I may need someone to interpret exactly what it means. Of course, that's assuming I didn't lie on every other question in the first place.

Your Passion is Purple
Sophisticated and classy, you're a bit picky about sex. You're more likely to be turned on by a fancy hotel room than a dirty flick. Sex is fine enough, as long as it doesn't mess up your hair. For you, sex is more about power and favors than actually pleasure.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So why, exactly, are you switching jobs? Somehow we never manage to make this clear.

Nathaniel said...

The real short of the story is that this was the right job to take at the right time. The slightly longer version is that I liked what I was doing and was pretty good at it (if you don't mind my saying), but it turned out to be a little different than what I thought I had been recruited to do. I like long-term planning and working with people, but the schedule was getting ridiculous. In particular, I want to stay involved with my Clayton kiddies, which means I need some evenings and weekends without meeting clients. (Note, if you're one of said kiddies who got my site, I actually don't really like you that much, I'm just using you as an excuse.)

Also, the non-profit where I'm working is great experience (very complementary to what I did at DFC), and I will either have some good opportunities here or this will set me up nicely to go get an MBA and become an overpaid employee again at Monsanto or Boeing. I wouldn't mind working at their IDS division by the airport in St Louis. Also, we do a lot of work with veterans and ex-offenders, and the military and the criminal justice system are two of the public policy areas that most interest me.