9/25/2005

video games drive movies

Video games and associated merchandise sales have been driving a lot of movie development in Hollywood. Special effects teams will throw in totally pointless and cheesy shots just to try to keep up with what gamers expect from the newest consoles. Well I am glad to see that this has been taken to its logical extreme: turning one of the classic games into a real movie (Final Fantasy was a little different).

I hope they do a good job with Doom! That could be a really good movie. Yes, I will admit to reading the (first) Doom book, and it was really enjoyable. If it turns out to just be a crappy movie to capitalize on the groundbreaking success of the Doom franchise, that will be really sad.

3 comments:

SavRed said...

Nate--Have you played Half-Life and Half-Life 2?

Charles

Nathaniel said...

I haven't gotten into them much. I'm really more of a strategy gamer than first-person stuff, but Doom is just one of those groundbreaking franchises that transcends everything.

Or maybe that just dates me, I don't know.

SavRed said...

Nate--That's funny, considering I'm more dated than you. I liked DOOM, but Half-Life satisfied my puzzle solving need while also satisfying my destructive needs.

Charles