9/10/2005

where's an atheist doctor when you need one

I don't have much direct experience with our medical system as I am generally a relatively healthy, young male. I went to the doctor when my mother said hey, you have to go do the doctor this afternoon. However, this week was a tad long and as the body is great at doing, it stayed sufficiently healthy while I needed it and then crashed last night. So this morning I looked up the ten closest doctors to my apartment accepting my health insurance. Well, this was news to me, but apparently doctors are as bad as banks. It is simply impossible to even talk to, let alone actually see, a doctor between about 4pm Friday and 8 am Monday. For people with schedules like me, taking Saturday and Sunday off is most convenient. But if I wasn't of the Judeo-Christian mold, I would love to work Saturday and Sunday and take a couple days in the middle of the week off. Malls are much more pleasant on Tuesdays, for example, and it would be a heck of a lot easier scheduling the dumb Laclede gas people to get out here and do there nothingness. Wouldn't at least a few doctors realize that people are bound to get sick in the two and a half day period known as the weekend? If it really was that hard getting some doctors to work on Saturday or Sunday, then surely some enterprising doctor could come along and charge a slightly higher copay for weekend service. There's always the emergency room, but that costs a lot more money and would require me waiting for hours and hours as it would be obvious I'm at the bottom of the priority list. Not to mention that defeats the whole point of having family doctors and emergency rooms.

At least there was plenty to watch as I lay comatosed on the couch today. It's hardly September, and the Big Ten has already been decimated...hehe. It's rough when you can't even score a touchdown against Iowa State. And Georgia didn't look so tough today. Also proved once again that announcers shouldn't announce things before they actually happen. After a somewhat involved story about how Oklahoma had blown out so many teams in a row at home by more than ten points and how that streak was going to end, Oklahoma scored enough points to beat Tulsa by more than ten.

Go Fighting Irish! Oh wait, maybe that's one of those offensive names that should be changed.

1 comment:

SavRed said...

Nate--As long as you don't mind a doctor with the last name of Patel or Wong, you can get seen down here on the weekends--but it's at one of those Immediate Med places.

And I needed one yesterday--from the hyperventilating when the Irish toppled Michigan, through the whiteknuckle game of GA/SC, all the way through beer and untimely OSU collapse induced coma, I needed something. A cortisone shot to the eyeball?

Actually, my wife says I need prayer on days like that, especially after about the 8th beer.

By the way, Brown needed to go--but on that note so does Blanco and Nagin.

Charles