8/08/2005

oh, the influences we have on people...

This was just too good for me not to post. Either this individual is just seeing if I'm gullible (which I wouldn't put past her), or I managed to leave such an impact in high school that her younger sister made up a nickname for me. A rather long one, at that. It's really more of a slogan than a nickname.

Here's the post from coercedbynutmeg where you can read about it. I will be laughing about this all evening.

UPDATE: Sorry, nevermind, she has that post protected. You have to register with livejournal and friend her. I'll ask her if it's ok for me to repost it here. In the meantime, just trust me that it's a good one :)

OKAY, I have acquired the details. I've generally kept my posts PG, but this is number 69, after all (no kidding, that's what Dashboard says). So if you're going to complain that I'm cheapening our language or feeding pop culture or destroying families or something, well, tell somebody who cares.

This high school friend of mine had a subtitle to her blog that read:
one of these behated geeks form fuckin high school

So I wrote: I have to know, is your erratically formed description purposeful? Have I just not noticed that little rant before, or is that new? Behated must be one of those fancy words you learned from university.

She wrote: Actually it was a descriptor my sister created for YOU
NDEMPSY-who might be one of these behated geeks form fuckin high school.
I kept it because it is hilarious. I'll probably change it in a day or two.

She also wrote: I assume behated is the opposite of beloved.

I wrote: that's awesome, I am quite flattered
you're not just making that up, are you?

She wrote: Not at all. Click this link. I had her site meter on my xanga page and she thought that all my visitors were her visitors. I don't have the heart to tell her otherwise.


I'll let you find all the different ways I found this hilarious.

3 comments:

SavRed said...

Nate--There are so many bad images your "really long nickname" conjure up, but it doesn't pay to go there.

Especially after your Bible post. My Bible is well thumbed. It's not gilded. It's black. With a red book mark. That sits perpetually on Job's story. Some days Job is my hero. Other days he's a fool.

I think we may finally agree on something--diversity quotas in institutions. Especially in education, I think a blind allegiance to diversity hurts students. Starting with college admissions, the emphasis on diversity keeps out people who would make the greatest contributions.

You are young yet and I don't really know the demographics of your city or your workplace, but where I am, if you are a white male, you have to almost have the characteristics of a minority applicant to be considered for advancement (there is quite the emphasis on being able to relate). I think that is a specious argument and dangerous to students. It is especially difficult if you happen to be a conservative, white male. Now that's truly what there needs to be more of in the field of education!

So, yeah, there is a real reason why my humble Bible is bookmarked to Job. I feel it everyday.

Aren't you glad you didn't have a "really tiny" nickname? That might have hurt!

Charles

Nathaniel said...

Interestingly, one of my most conservative friends is also a huge Job fan.

As far as my city, St. Louis is a very racially divided area. The city itself is predominantly black. My neighborhood is one of the more diverse areas; no ethnic group breaks the 50% mark. At a place like Wash U, a guy like one of my roommates at Boys State, a gun owning white male from Higginsville, MO, would add a lot more diversity than another black from a Chicago suburb or hispanic from an LA suburb. But you sure wouldn't know it from the scholarships available. I applied for the Dean's Scholarship in the business school because my parents rendered me ineligible for the Ervin Scholars and Annika Rodriguez programs and my dad working for the government and my mom staying home pretty much meant I needed to get all the aid I could get. And even getting the Dean's Scholarship, I might not have attended Wash U without help from other family members, as well.

I'm not saying that black students from a suburb of Philly aren't deserving of assistance. I'm saying they aren't any more deserving than a white guy from the same swanky neighborhood, let alone somebody from downtown Philly or rural PA.

Nathaniel said...

I feel I should update this, because since I went to Wash U the Ervin Scholars and Rodriguez Scholars programs have dropped the racial requirement for future applicants. In their press release last year, they in part said it related to the Supreme Court decision in the Michigan law school case. I'm very curious to see if this affects the kinds of applications they get and the offers made by the school. It will also be interesting to see how their talks about diversity and whatnot change when they can't cite race as a defining characteristic of these two programs.