8/07/2005

what kind of Bible do you have?

Our interim pastor was telling an old joke about the Bible being the most widely bought and least widely used book in the world. As he was talking more about this, it got me thinking about the different ways people treat their Bible. Some are big show books, that sit on the middle shelf right at eye-level but never get taken down, let alone read. Some have comments written all over them. Mine gets thrown on top of a pile of books so I can grab it in a hurry without worrying about any other books falling over. The cover has been repaired and taped together on multiple occasions, and I have more papers stuffed in various pages than I can possibly remember why, exactly, I put them there in the first place. One thing that I don't like doing is actually writing in books, especially my Bible. The coolest Bible I've ever seen was one that had that silver, brushed-metal look in a store up in Kirksville.

So what about you? Does your Bible fit your personality or possibly even clash with it? Is it a show Bible or a used one?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, let's see: there's the kiddie one that's mostly pictures which I never use, the youth one I ripped a couple pages from so I could donate it to a book sale, the gilded-edge one I'm keeping for reference, the one my parents gave me that I never use... I think that's it. Too many different copies for me to care about one way or the other. Now I know why - my mother has formally come out and declared her intention to collect every version of the bible she can find, which to my knowledge, she lines up on her shelves and lets collect dust.

It's just a book. They come and go.

Anonymous said...

Wait! I forgot - I also have a Catholic version, and a bunch of scattered new testament copies. And a book of Mormon, to shake things up.

Nathaniel said...

Cool. I of course have to disagree with your just a book comment, but I'm sure you wouldn't be too surprised :)

By the way, I'm surprised this one wasn't on your list of copies you have. Les Manuscript Illuminees sont tres chuette.

Anonymous said...

Pah. Too expensive, and really, I'd only want the original. Wouldn't you?